Monday, January 4, 2010

Featured Artist - The MayFlower

Who are you? My name is May and I am currently a college student. I fell in love with fashion in the 8th grade when I noticed how similarly dressed everyone was. So, I decided to be a rebel and make my own clothes. I started taking FIT Saturday Live classes in NY to learn how to sew. Since then, I’ve been practicing and brushing up on techniques and skill. I started an Etsy shop because I want others to enjoy my clothes as much as I do, and I need to pay for college.

What is your Etsy Shop Name/link? La Vie En May - The MayFlower http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheMayFlower

What tag categories do you specialize in? Women, Clothing, Dresses, Black, Tank, Jewelry, Bracelets, Earrings

Do you create for children or adults, women or men? Adult Women. I am trying to go for Adult Men next year, but still not sure about that.



What do you like about Etsy? First of all, I like the format. It’s very easy to use and follow. They have comprehensive tips and ideas on how to improve on shop appearance in the Forums, Storque and even Virtual Labs. Many other sellers interact with one another, either just for fun or because they’re promoting each other’s shops. Etsy is a very fun, yet extremely competitive environment. There are so many sellers on that site, but everyone is willing to help each other in any way possible.

Where do you find inspiration for your products? It’s kind of random actually. I sometimes look at old photos and I get inspired, or the shape of an object may influence me. Blair Waldorf is a constant inspiration. It’s not even her style, but her attitude and persona that impact me most. Audrey Hepburn is a classic. Anything can serve as an inspiration to me really.




What do you love about your business? I love the feeling of being independent. I mean, I am young and I recently enrolled in college. I’ve relied on my parents my entire life and for me to take this step is so liberating. I think it’s the same feeling as what the American colonists felt when they wrote the Declaration of Independence for King George III. Sorry for the history reference, but it’s true. I am figuring out the world, and it’s scary and exciting. I would rather fall on my own and learn than have my parents catch me halfway.

What is your favorite product right now? Well, if you mean in my shop, it would have to be a tie between the “One Shoulder Floral Black Fitted Dress” and “Dark Cinderella”. The former dress is so sexy and it really makes it look like I have curves even though I’m as straight as a board. The flowers that come down on one shoulder brings a bit of elegance to the outfit as well. Dark Cinderella is just a black tutu dress. But it has that fun and flirty feel to it with the three tiers of tulle. There is a masquerade ball event coming soon and I’m going to choose between those two dresses!


What makes you unique at Etsy? I don’t know about the other sellers, but I know that I’m from the young generation. I know what girls in my age range want and need. I tend to focus on accentuating the shoulders, back and legs. I think those are the best features in women and I try my best to make then stand out. And I’m sure I’m the only seller that has an obsession with black. Many people portray it as a dark and gothic color, but I think it can depict elegance, glamour, fun, flirty and other styles.

What are some other sites to find out more about you and what you love to create?

I have a twitter: http://www.twitter.com/lavieenmay

I have a new blog: http://lavieenmay.blogspot.com

I have a very old website of all the old creations I’ve made: http://maysfashiondesigns.webs.com

I also have a facebook fan page for all new updates and secret sales:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Brunswick-NJ/theMayflower-Fashions/278355815082?ref=ts

There are currently many things on sale in the shop. Check out the sale section here for some great deals.




No comments: