Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Featured Artist - Miss Emma's Closet

Who are you? Alison, wife and mom of two

What is your Etsy Shop Name/link? http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5705715 and http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6320332

What tag categories do you specialize in? baby, wedding, accessories for women and the home


Do you create for children or adults, women or men? I mainly create for women and children. I have a line of home decor coming out soon. I like to focus on shabby chic designs.

What do you like about Etsy? Ever since I can remember, I have been crafting. I love all things handmade. I think it is fabulous that Etsy has been created to allow people such as myself to show their designs, and for others to appreciate them. Oh and I really like the fact that you can keep track of your favorites. I have met some fantastic people through my favs.

Where do you find inspiration for your products? I love to go out on little excursions. I am always collecting in my travels. Anything can become something. I love to go to flea markets and antique stores, it's a great stepping stone for my original shabby chic designs. My husband laughs at me. He says, 'you're the only person I know that looks at a rusted old cake pan and gets excited about it!', and it's totally true.

What do you love about your business? I love that I can constantly do what I love. I can work when I want and I can design what I like. It is not uncommon for me to be feverishly sewing away at 2 A.M. It is my hope that my shop will be increasingly successful so that I can stay home full time with my kids. My daughter was born sick, the only child that they know of with her illness, it would be great to build my business up enough to leave my job.

What is your favorite product right now? Oh, I am so excited to incorporate the finds from my last trip excursion. I purchased a huge box of old spindles from a porch. Not your usual "product". I have about 20 or so different ideas for them, from feet on a foot stool, to handles on a box to the base of a candle stick, and a few other surprises! More conventionally, I am obsessed with fabric. I LOVE to go to the fabric store, all alone:)



What makes you unique at Etsy? I like to meld together new and old. It's great when I can take fabric from an old quilt and give it new life, or old molding from a house and turn it into a shelf. It is great to have the ability to work when I can and create things that I love, but I also have another mission here as well. I am taking 10% of the profits from my sales this year and donating them to my daughter's hospital. They have done so much for us, and have literally saved her life, it's the least that I can do to say thanks.


What other street teams are you a member of? EtsyNJ is my first team, YAY!!!

What are some other sites to find out more about you and what you love to create?
http://onemomsstory.blogspot.com/
& http://web.me.com/alisondraine/Site/Welcome.html

This little boy box is so adorable! It would be the perfect shower gift!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very beautiful and unique!